Our master gardener, Jason Matz, harvested 200 pounds of squash today.
This is no small feat; he is working off of a mere 2 acres of land! The magic is in the amendments to the soil, and a lot bit of love for what your doing!
In his honor, Sara made some killer zucchini and squash bread.
This local, sustainable, organic treat was the highlight of our VIP breakfast buffet, and for good reason- it was delicious!!!
Sara’s Zucchini & Squash Bread
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 organic cage free eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini and squash
- Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans, and preheat your oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl.
- Cream together eggs, oil, and both sugars in a large bowl.
- Add all of your sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well.
- Stir in zucchini and squash until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the pans on a bread rack for 20 minutes, or until cool to the touch.
- Remove bread from pan, and completely cool before slicing.